Remote Control Systems
Remote control systems refers to the range of assistive technology that assists with independent control of the home environment. Remote control systems can provide an alternative to the remotes for TVs, DVD players, HIFI systems or bed controllers. Remote control systems can also include motorising parts of the home including doors, windows or curtains to provide independent control.
Factors to consider
- What parts of the does the individual want to control?
- What environment/s will the remote control system be used?
- How will the individual access the remote control system? Will they use direct access (finger pointing) or require alternative access methods (such as scanning with an external switch or voice control)?
- Ability to the user to learn new tasks and remember the steps.
- Organising a trial of the remote control system
- Set-up and training needs.
- Ongoing support and troubleshooting needs.
- Need for appointment to fully explore all options with an Occupational Therapist.
Also known as
- Environmental Control Units/Systems
- Electronic Aids for Daily Living
- Home Automation
- Smart home technology